Dental abscess is one of the most serious of all dental emergencies. It is an indication of a developing problem that can lead to more serious dental issues if left untreated.
If you are suffering from a dental abscess it is important to schedule an appointment with your dentist right away. At Bendigo Smiles Dentist, your trusted team strives to provide a Same Day Emergency Appointment to cater to all your dental emergencies including dental abscess.
Dental Abscess: Definition and Cause
A dental abscess is the amassing of pus inside the tooth, in the gums, or in the bone that holds the teeth. It is caused by the following dental problems:
- Severe tooth decay
- Infected/dead/dying tooth pulp
- Periodontal disease
- Root canal issues
- Errors from previous dental treatments
When there is an infection in the mouth caused by the abovementioned reasons, a dental abscess quickly develops, usually one or two days afterwards.
Once they form, they don’t go away on their own. They worsen day after day and can go on from months to years.
Symptoms of Dental abscess
Aside from the visible formation of pus in the affected area, the following are the symptoms of a dental abscess:
- Cheeks and gums that are red and/or swollen.
- Bad breath.
- Bitter taste in the tongue caused by the dripping abscess.
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food/drinks.
- Difficulty in opening the mouth.
First Aid Treatment
Here’s what you can do:
- Schedule an appointment with your Bendigo Smiles dentist immediately.
- Rinse your mouth with a salt-water solution. Dissolve ½ teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of lukewarm water. Gargle several times a day.
- You can take over-the-counter pain relievers to alleviate the pain. Do not give aspirin to those below 18 years old and never put aspirin on the affected gums, as this will only burn it.
Dental Abscess Treatment At Bendigo Smiles Dentist
Your Bendigo Smiles dentist will drain the pus first before conducting a thorough examination to determine the cause of the dental abscess and treat it from there. If the underlying cause is not addressed, another dental abscess will form.
Treatment of dental abscess could be one of the following:
- Tooth extraction
- Periodontal surgery
- Root canal treatment
Your Trusted Emergency Dentist In Bendigo
Bendigo Smiles Dentist provides families in Bendigo with instant, effective relief from dental emergencies.
We offer general care and urgent care for families and patients of every age. Our clinic offers safe pain-free methods to promote comfort and relaxation during procedures. Our team prioritises your needs and overall experience, whether it’s a simple visit or an emergency situation.
Same Day Emergency Appointment Usually Available!